The by-election for the seat of Northcote will be on 18 November – meaning it is time to make sure protecting Victoria’s nature is a big issue for voters and candidates in the by-election.
Your help at this critical time is essential. We need to make it obvious that the Northcote community loves national parks and that we want more protection for our forests and wildlife.
If you live in the Northcote electorate, could you display this sign in your front yard or window?
We can send the sign (measuring approximately 30cm x 45cm) to you today as part of our by-election action pack. Find out how to get one below.
The Northcote by-election is a great opportunity for all candidates to show their support for protecting nature. And it is a really important chance for you as a voter to speak up for what you care about. Tell your candidates you want to see Victoria’s native forests protected from logging and that you want them to back the Great Forest National Park.
Here is what you can do right now:
- Request a free by-election action pack including sign, sticker, brochures and other useful information about the Great Forest National Park. Simply email [email protected] with your name and address, and we will send you out an action pack straight away! Or you can call our office on (03) 9341 6500 for more information.
- Send an email to Premier Andrews to commit to creating the Great Forest National Park now: www.vnpa.org.au/protect-action/protect-eastern-forests
- Talk with your friends, family and neighbours about why nature is an important issue in this by-election. Would you like to help with letterboxing in your neighbourhood? Get in contact with us today, email: [email protected]
It’s time to swing into action for Great Forest National Park!
Victorian environmental groups, including the Victorian National Parks Association, have commissioned polling of voters in the upcoming Northcote by-election. It shows a very high level of support for new Great Forest National Park.
- An overwhelming majority of Northcote voters (81.5%) support the creation of the Great Forest National Park;
- That 57% of voters are more likely to vote for a by-election candidate if they support the creation of new national parks to protect native forests and wildlife from logging;
- 93% believe that Victorian forests should be a place for conservation and recreation rather than logging, including 95% of Labor voters;
- 59% believe that the Andrews government is not doing enough to protect native wildlife from logging operations.
A new Great Forest National Park will:
- Help save endangered wildlife
- Protect Melbourne’s drinking water catchments
- Help fight climate change
- Provide a new network of parks on Melbourne’s doorstep for rest and recreation
- Create long-term sustainable jobs