The Victorian National Parks Association (VNPA) is committed to protecting the privacy of the information held about its members, supporters, volunteers, donors and personnel.
What information is collected?
1 The types of personal information about an individual that the VNPA may collect include:
- contact information, such as name, address, email address, phone number, mobile phone number
- date of birth and gender
- bank account or credit card details
- VNPA membership number
- history of donations, correspondence and other interactions with the VNPA including personal opinions.
How do we collect the information?
1 The VNPA only collects information by lawful and fair means and not in an unreasonable or intrusive way.
2 The VNPA collects information in a number of ways including;
- from you when you provide the information to us face to face or by phone, email or through our website or from your responses to mail out forms;
- from third parties who organise a VNPA membership by way of gift;
- from third parties who make a donation to the VNPA on your behalf or who have nominated you as the recipient of communications regarding the donation;
- from third parties, such as credit card providers, when we seek authorisation for your payment; or
- from publicly available sources.
3 At appropriate points on forms (paper, electronic, or other) there will be;
a) a brief statement of the VNPA's commitment to privacy, or
b) a link to the VNPA's policy on privacy, or
c) both a) and b)
d) a warning that a person's private details may not be secure, if the person is transferred from a secure VNPA web form to a non-secure web form or similar.
What information do we give you?
1 When collecting personal information the VNPA takes reasonable steps to ensure that you are aware of:
- our identity and how to contact us;
- the fact that you are able to access the information;
- the purpose for collecting the information;
- which organisations (or types of organisations) the VNPA usually discloses such information to;
- any law that requires the VNPA to collect the particular information; and
- the main consequences to you (if any) if the information is not provided.
Why is the information collected and how is it used?
1 The VNPA collects information, including personal information, to assist it in performing its functions and activities.
2 This means that we may use your personal information for any of the following purposes.
- fulfilling the VNPA's role in educating the community about issues of environmental and nature conservation significance
- assisting the VNPA to participate in relevant civic and political debates
- identifying environmental breaches and highlighting environmental and conservation concerns
- notifying individuals of the VNPA's activities and campaigns
- forging corporate and professional alliances to achieve environmental outcomes
- seeking new members and processing, renewing and maintaining VNPA memberships and subscription services; and
- increasing the VNPA's financial support, through various fundraising activities, in order to maintain and enhance the VNPA's campaigning capacity.
3 In addition, the VNPA may use your personal information for different purposes but only in the following circumstances:
- if the different purpose relates to the primary purpose for which the information was collected, and you would expect us to use the information in this way; such as providing your contact details to a mailing house engaged by us to send out correspondence to our members and supporters; or
- you have consented to use using the information for the different purpose; or
- for direct marketing of the VNPA's functions and activities or of nature conservation or environmental interest
- issues generally, and if you have agreed to receive such information.
Can we disclose your information?
1 The VNPA will only disclose your personal information as required under relevant laws or when you consent to the disclosure.
2 For direct marketing purposes, we may disclose your personal information to third party service providers who:
- assist the VNPA with direct mail/email appeals; or
- assist the VNPA with fundraising activities via telemarketing; or
- undertake market analysis and advice on fundraising strategies on behalf of the VNPA.
- undertake not to provide this information to any other person or organisation, except as required by law
3 The VNPA may also disclose your personal information to:
- credit providers;
- credit reporting and fraud checking organisations;
- an authorised legal representative nominated by you;
- our accountants, auditors and lawyers; or
- law enforcement bodies, government or other organisations, as required by law.
How do we protect your information?
1 We take all reasonable steps to make sure the personal information we collect is complete and up to date and to protect it from misuse and loss from authorised access, modification or disclosure. Our staff, volunteers and third party providers receive appropriate education regarding privacy and that our electronic and physical storage systems have adequate protection.
2 It is also important for you to protect against unauthorised access to your computer.
Can you access your information?
1 You have a right to request access to the personal information we hold about you. We will comply with such a request, unless there is a legal reason not to. Please contact VNPA on the details below.
How can you correct your personal information?
1 Please get in touch with the VNPA on the details below.
VNPA contact details
Victorian National Parks Association
Mail: Level 3, 60 Leicester St, Carlton, VIC, 3053
Telephone: 03 9347 5188