School resources by topic for years 7-12
People and nature
Nature, wellbeing and mental health
Relationships with nature (Bendigo Bushland stories)
National parks guide
Impact of conservation/positive human impacts on outdoor environments
Impacts of commercial activities on outdoor environments
- Parks Under Threat: The main current threats to Victoria's environment.
- Can the Leadbeater's Possum be saved?: 2015 Park Watch article.
- Saving Leadbeater's Possum or logging: 2014 Park Watch article.
- Logging in East Gippsland: Logging poses a threat to the remaining old growth forests Victoria.
- Flawed Promises - Logging in East Gippsland: A 2009 report (Note: some of this information will be out of date, however provides background information in regard to the ongoing logging and deforestation occurring in East Gippsland).
- Environment East Gippsland website: For further information and news on current logging occurring in East Gippsland.
- Oil spill impacts on Westernport seagrass, mangrove and saltmarsh: A fact sheet.
- Oil spill impacts on Westernport bird species: Background information sheet.
- Shipping oil spill impacts on Westernport Bay: Background information sheet.
- Westernport oil spill simulation: A short Youtube video.
- Westernport Bay: An overview of the increased risk of oil spills in Westernport Bay and its implications.
- Australian Maritime Safety Authority list of major historical incidents: A list of major oil spills in or near Australian waters (external link).
- Mining in the Wombat State Forest: The threats posed to biodivsersity in the Wombat State Forest by mining.
- Plundering Paradise: 2014 Park Watch article.
- Wellsford State Forest: Timber harvesting and the threat it still poses to Wellsford State Forest.
- The Port Campbell coast: Paradise Lost?: 2014 Park Watch article on Port Campbell.
- Port Campbell - Developments on a fragile coast: 2014 Park Watch article.
- The Grampians Peaks Trail gets going: 2015 Park Watch article.
- Cradle Mountain - Why infrastructure should be built outside national parks: 2013 Park Watch article.
Impacts of recreational activities on outdoor environments
- Prospecting in parks: The dangers of fossicking in parks.
- The Sustainable Firewood Guide: Firewood alternatives available in Victoria.
Impacts of urbanisation on outdoor environments
- Urban sprawl: How an expanding Melbourne is putting endangered species at risk.
- Why Melbourne needs a Green Edge: The importance of keeping open, natural areas around Melbourne.
- Five native species vulnerable to the effects of urbanisation: Threatened or endangered species at risk from urbanisation.
- Melbourne's Urban Expansion: A report on threatened species on our doorstep.
- Victoria's grasslands - what we've lost: A short video.
- Bandicoot Battles: 2014 Park Watch article.
Biodiversity - habitat types and natural threats
- Nature Conservation Review 2014: A overview of environment types within Victoria and their current state
Alpine and forests
- Central Highland Forests: General information on its values and threats.
- High conservation value forests of the Central Highlands: A fact sheet on Victoria's Mountain Ash forests.
- Healthy forests create sustainable water yields, store more carbon: A fact sheet.
- Victoria's Wombat State Forest: A guide to the mammals 'Caught on Camera'.
- Start with the Grasslands: A report providing design guidelines to support native grasslands in urban areas.
- Explore Underwater Victoria: Find Victorian underwater photographs, videos, group contacts and resource links.
- Protecting Marine Habitat: A handbook for Victorian waters.
- Protecting our Seas and Shores: A report into the need to better protect Victoria's marine environment.
Riparian and wetlands
- Riverside Rescue: A report providing solutions for Riparian Land in Victoria.
- 13 Thirsty Species: A report highlighting 13 flood-dependent species under threat from lack of water in the River Red Gum parks.
- Murray River Park: Cattle grazing and its impact on water quality.
- VicNature 2015: Managing Victoria's biodiversity under climate change.
- Climate Change: Fire and nature, the burning question fact sheet.
- Climate Change: How will climate change affect nature fact sheet.
- Climate Change: Rivers, coastal saltmarshes and wetlands fact sheet.
- Climate Change: Species migration fact sheet.
- Fire in the Victorian landscape: fire is a significant risk for public safety, native habitats and the many tens of thousands of species that live within them.
- The fire next time: An online article taken from our magazine Park Watch in 2015.
- Bushfires: Royal Commission inquiry set up by former Victorian Premier John Brumby into the state's 2009 bushfires.
- Fire and biodiversity: Notes from the 2011 Fire and Biodiversity Symposium.
- Victorian 2009 February fires: A report on Driving Influences and Land Tenures Affected.
- The 5% burn target goes: 2015 Park Watch article.
- Feral animals and weeds: In Victoria alone there are some 1000 weed and at least 250 pest animal species.
- Pest control and shooting in Victorian parks: A fact sheet.
- Explore Underwater Victoria: Some information on introduced marine pests in Victoria.
- 'Special dog on the high plains' and 'Letter from a Hawkweed hunter: 2015 Park Watch article.
- Catching cats on French Island: 2015 Park Watch article.
- Feral deer on the rise: 2015 Park Watch article.
- Wild Horse Management in the Victorian Alps: A 2013 Submission by the VNPA.
History of the VNPA and its environmental campaigns
- Conservation Journeys: A short history of the VNPA.
VNPA campaign: Cattle grazing in the Alpine National Park
- It's a park, not a paddock: A history of the VNPA campaign to keep cattle out of the Alpine National Park.
- How many umpires do we need for Alpine grazing? A fact sheet.
- Science, credibility & alpine grazing: A report.
- Cattle grazing in Alpine National Park: A fact sheet.
- The Victorian Government's Trail Grazing Program in the Alpine National Park: A report commissioned by the VNPA.
- Alpine National Park...or cow paddock? An archive website on the campaign to keep cattle out of the Alpine National Park.
- Cattle in the Alpine National Park: A short video about damaging cattle grazing dressed up as scientific research.
- Investigation of cattle damage in the Alpine National Park: In February 2011 Phil Ingamell's went to the Alpine National Park to investigate cattle damage.
VNPA campaign: Marine national parks and sanctuaries
- Conserving our unique marine worlds: A fact sheet.
- Victoria's marine protection story: 2012 Park Watch article.
- Marine national parks and sanctuaries: Victoria's network of marine national parks and sanctuaries
- VEAC Investigation: This report led to the establishment of Victoria's marine national parks and sanctuaries.
VNPA Campaign: Development at Bastion Point
- Save Bastion Point: Campaign website, supported by the VNPA.
- Archived VNPA coverage of the Bastion Point issue:
- Bastion Point decision betrays Victorian Coastal Strategy: June 2009.
- Bastion Point still threatened by development: April-May 2010.
- Alternative Bastion Point plan launched: October-November 2010.
- Last minute reprieve a win for Bastion Pt: April 2012.
- VEAC marine investigation, a chance for change: August 2012.
- Locals vow to keep up Bastion Pt fight: February 2013.
- Decision will scar Bastion Pt: August 2013.
- Tide turns against Bastion Pt: February 2014.
VNPA Campaign: Development at Wilson's Prom
- Shining a light for parks: 2013 Park Watch article.
- Hands off Parks: Shine a light on parks Youtube clip.
- Victorian converge on 'the Prom': 2013 media release.
VNPA Campaign: Great Forest National Park
- Why Victoria needs a Great Forest National Park: 2013 Park Watch article.
- Great Forest National Park: A Great Forest National Park on Melbourne's doorstep would protect the tallest flowering trees on the planet.
- Great Forest National Park website: All you need to know about the proposal to create a Great Forest National Park.
Other historical campaigns and information
- Nature Conservation Review 2014: A history of nature conservation in Victoria.
- A History of Wilsons Promontory: Digital book written by John Roslyn Garnet.
- Wyperfeld: Australia's First Mallee National Park: Digital book published by the Friends of Wyperfeld.
Contact us for a list of books detailing historical conservation campaigns such as 'Defending the Little Desert' can be bought from the Victorian National Parks Association.